Choosing the right toy for your child’s age is not just a matter of selecting a toy that will engage, entertain and educate them, it is also a matter of safety. If you’ve browsed the aisles of any toy store lately you probably know that selecting the right toy can be a difficult undertaking. Not only do you want a toy that you can rest assured will provide no danger to your child, but you also want to select a toy that will help your child develop their full potential.
Research indicates that children who are provided with age-appropriate toys that are stimulating will help children to more fully develop their physical, cognitive and creative abilities. By learning which toys are right for your child’s age you can help them to stimulate the connections in their brains that are responsible for building your child’s future intelligence.
Keep in mind that it is never too early to begin this all important process. Even the youngest babies can begin responding to bright colors, helping their vision to develop more quickly.
Children under Six Months:
• Mobiles in bright colors will stimulate vision
• Activity centers to encourage reaching for motor control development
• Mirrors designed with baby safety in mind to encourage your child to explore faces
• Rattlers and tethers that will introduce baby to new textures.
• Board books-even at this young age reading to your baby will help them with beginning language development