Child Care Exit Planning
Helping You Achieve Your Business and Personal Exit Goals
Did you know surveys indicate that three out of four (75%) business owners regretted the decision to sell their business? Unfortunately, the statistic is true. Business owners often note three primary reasons for regret:
- One, lack of preparation. They realize they should have started planning their exit much earlier and done more to prepare their business.
- Two, they left money on the table. By not maximizing the value of their business, their business did not sell for as much as it could.
- And, no personal plan. Their post-transition satisfaction is low because they did not prepare a personal plan for what they would do after their exit.
Having worked with child care business owners since 1995 as business consultants and mergers and acquisition advisors, we know firsthand that only a very small percentage of childcare business owners have an Exit Plan. Although most owners think about the day they will exit their child care business—very little is done—other than thinking and dreaming about exiting.
This lack of formal exit planning not only can delay a child care owner’s exit timeline but often results in child care business owners making bad decisions should an unexpected situation arise that has the owner wanting to exit their business sooner than anticipated.
During the Great Recession and COVID, many child care owners decided to sell their child care businesses. Some sold due to financial problems, and others sold because they did not want to continue with the day-to-day challenges and stress of owning a child care business. Having done little or no exit planning, many owners made decisions that were not in their long-term best interest, including:
- Selling their child care business for less than its true value.
- Agreeing to earnouts or seller financing (with “strings attached”), some never receive full payment.
- Leasing their building and land with low rents and terms highly favorable to the buyer.
- Agreeing (often as a buyer’s requirement) to continue to operate the child care business for the buyer after closing for several months—losing all control of operations and decision making—while still having the stress and headaches of being responsible for running the business.
As the saying goes, “Desperate People Do Desperate Things.” In good times, a lack of exit planning leads to poor decision-making. Challenging, stressful times make it even harder to make good exit decisions.
At ChildCareOwner we specialize in helping the owners of childcare businesses to create an Exit Plan that helps them achieve not only their business exit goals, but also their personal exit goals, and provide for the financial needs for the next chapter of their life.
Specialized Child Care Accounting and Financial Management
Accounting & Bookkeeping
Specialized accounting services for childcare businesses.
- QuickBooks Online included
- All data entry (That’s right; no more wasting time trying to learn how to use QuickBooks!)
- Credit/Debit Card transactions
- Bank reconciliations
- Monthly, Quarterly & Annual Reports
- Accurate and timely services
Planning & Budgeting
Good financial management starts with planning and budgeting.
- Monthly, Quarterly and Annual financial planning and budgeting
- Budget vs Actual tracking
- Key Performance Indicators – Financial and Non-Financial
- Business planning tied to financial budgeting
Cash Flow Management
Cash Flow is essential to business survival
- Tracking the flow of cash in and out of your childcare business
- Analyzing cash flow changes
- Cash flow budgeting
- Cash flow planning and forecasting
- Cash flow requirements analysis
- Cash flow management strategies
We take the stress out of Paydays.
- New hire auto set up and filing
- Same day direct deposits
- Accurate vacation and paid time off (PTO) accruals
- Easy to read payroll reports
- Timely and accurate payments of FICA, Social Security and other taxes
- Time sheets
- We calculate, file, and pay your payroll taxes for you
- Approving Payroll only takes minutes of your time not hours
Reports & Tax Filing
Keeping you in compliance.
- Pro-active Tax Compliance, Tax Preparation, and Tax Planning
- Annual business tax returns filed
- Annual personal income tax returns filed
- Real Estate property tax returns
- Business entity tax analysis to ensure maximum tax benefit
- Year-end tax planning with projections and checklists
- Tax planning designed to eliminate end-of-year tax surprises
Expert Childcare Business Advisors.
- Coaching and consulting provided by childcare business experts – folks that really know how to help you build a successful childcare businesses
- Monthly online meetings
- Monthly financial analysis and planning
- KPI tracking and action plans
- Assisting you with financing, capital investments and growth
- Profits and cash flow management